There are many blog posts out there that give you tips on how to “spice up” your marriage, but this is not one of them. From becoming more spontaneous, to taking a vacation together, these tips are great ways to rekindle the fire that your marriage once had. Today I want to look at some biblical strategies to strengthen and “sweeten” your marriage. Making small changes in our attitude, our gestures, our emotions can make a big impact in our married life. I don’t want you to think this Mama of Three Boys has it all together, because I don’t! But dwelling in God’s word really taught me how to become a better spouse. So let’s see how we can work on it together!
- Exhibit Joy. No husband want to come home to a unhappy wife, who is mad all the time, and upset at circumstances that he has no control over, and of course vice-versa. James 1:2 says count it all joy when you fall into various trials. Ask the lord to provide that joy in your heart so you may radiate it in your home. Let the Joy of the Lord be your strength.
- Live at peace with each other. If you are living in an environment of unrest, hostility, or chaos, pray for the peace that surpasses understanding. Scripture says to seek peace and pursue it, you must make every effort to live in peace with your spouse.
- Demonstrate patience. Stay steadfast “despite opposition, difficulty, or adversity.” “Keep calm and carry on” without complaining. Learn to endure what is given to you.
- Respond with Kindness. Be attentive to your spouse’s need. Be considerate to his wants. Check your tone of voice, do not respond or treat your spouse in a rude manner.
- Portray Goodness. Let your life reflect Christ. Just like He is holy you too be holy. Walk blameless and upright in your marriage.
- Be devoted to Faithfulness: Be firm in your commitment to your spouse. Remember and repeat your vows. Be loyal and sincere to your husband.
- Clothe yourself with Gentleness: Gentle does not mean weak! Jesus himself said “I am gentle and humble in heart.” Be compassionate towards your husband, and show humility.
- Do not lack self-control: Say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, strive to live upright and godly lives though temptations may present in various forms.
- Love unconditionally. Can we love without limitations? Read 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8, Unconditional love is patient and kind. It is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.(paraphrase NLT)
How about that? Can we sweeten our marriage through these 9 steps?
Read Galatians 5:22-23 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.(NKJV)Ask the spirit to guide you, strengthen you, and give you wisdom to display these fruits in your… Click To Tweet
Ask the spirit to guide you, strengthen you, and give you wisdom to display these fruits in your marriage so it may become more sweet!Holy Spirit, help me exhibit love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,… Click To Tweet